They say, “The devil is in the details,” but I believe that beauty lies in details. It really is the little things around your home that can make a big difference in the feel and mood. For example, add a simple ficus tree to a corner and you can transform the feel of a space, or light a candle with a warm, citrus scent, or a fill a vase with fresh tulips…all of these little details create the overall feel of your home. Moral of the story? Pay attention to those little things.
With that, I thought I’d share some of my favorite home items –- small in stature, but big in creating impact and mood.
- Linen Bathroom Hand towels – I love putting out special linen hand towels for guests. I have about four sets that I rotate depending on the season. I feel as if they let my guests know how special they are.
- Fine Paper Hand Towels – I also provide a small basket of fine paper hand towels for guests that would rather have something fresh. Caspari makes lovely, patterned disposable hand towels in hundreds of patterns and colors, like these…
Check out the collection at Amazon.
- Mer Sea Diffusers – My husband says I have a bionic nose. I’m not kidding. And he’s actually right. I am very sensitive to scent – both good and bad ones. I love clean scents, and Mer Sea Co. makes the BEST diffusers. I put them all around my house – and in my guest room, which everyone comments on! They are available at fine home stores or online. I wish I could permanently have my house smell like the “Crisp Sails” collection. It’s $40 well spent – I promise (they last for months). Available at www.merseaco.com
- Molton Brown Hand Soaps – This hand soap is my favorite. It’s definitely a splurge, but like so many things, the British get this right. My favorite scent is the Mulberry & Thyme. The brand makes all sorts of other soap and wash products, but I love the hand soap in particular. I have a special bottle I always reserve for the guest bathroom to have visitors feel extra loved.
- Linneas Lights Natural Soy Candles — This is another splurge item, but the scents of these candles are amazing. Locally, I purchase them at Vintage Home South in Durham, but they are available online as well if there isn’t a retailer close to you. My favorite scents are the Persian Lime and Vetiver. The candles even come with a little box of matches. Details, I tell you.
So there you have a few of my favorite things. What small things do you add around your home to make it feel special? Do you have something you swear by? A favorite plant? candle? or something else? Please share! I’m always looking for ideas to incorporate into my home and client projects.
Happy spring! xo ~Maria