Hello Everyone! I’ve just returned from spending two days in High Point for the Spring International Furniture Mart. It was exciting, inspiring and exhausting all at the same time! I will be sharing furniture trends and what I saw on Friday Finds…you won’t want to miss it. Today however, I’m busy regrouping at my own house and trying to get my head around all that needs to be done now that spring (um…summer?!) is finally here to stay!
Here’s my master “Get Ready for Summer” Home To-Do list:
- Power wash the exterior of the house to get all the pollen and winter grim cleaned up.
- Clean windows – inside and out.
- Change filters around the house.
- Plant flowers in pots and containers — which is a feat for me! I have a black thumb….
- Re-work landscaping in front of the house.
- Install new solar lights around perimeter of walkway.
- Schedule mulching with landscaping company.
- Clean out the garage. (A big job that will require family involvement. My husband is cringing as he reads this!)
- Once power washing is complete, set up screened-in porch and take out cushions, pillows and decor from winter storage.
- Put away winter gear, boots, sleds, etc.
- Dry clean winter wool and down coats…. also, cashmere and wool sweaters.
- Put winter clothes into summer storage. Take out summer clothes from storage bins.
- Have inside carpets professionally cleaned.
- Go through kids’ clothing and decide what’s worth saving for next year and what can be given away. Store winter clothing and take summer clothes out of storage.
That’s a LOOONG list! These are the things I need to do to feel ready for the summer. I pace myself because it can’t all be done in a day or even a weekend. I also decide what tasks I’m going to hire out. For example, last year I rented a pressure washer and power washed our porch and the exterior of our house myself. This year however, I have neither the time nor desire to do it — so I hired the guys over at Top Notch (in Durham) to do it. They were great and I was happy to outsource that task! I also make sure my family is involved so that we all share the work of making our home functional and beautiful for the change of season.
What’s on your list? Do you have a master list that you do every year? I’m curious how you guys approach the seasonal change… Please share what’s a MUST-do for you. My absolute must is setting up the screened-in porch. I love sitting outside to entertain, read and share meals with our family. Here’s what my porch looked like as of this morning….That’s Southern POLLEN, y’all!
Tune in tomorrow to see the “AFTER” shots of this porch. Can’t wait for you to see the transformation…and get inspired to tackle your own outdoor space if you haven’t already done so!